Monday, August 31, 2015

What Impact Should A Christian Make?


Over the past week or so there has been an article circulating on the Internet published by Relevant Magazine called “Christians Shouldn’t Be Cultures Morality Police.” While I would agree to a point I think that too many “Christians” today take this to an unhealthy extreme. Because of this, what you are about to read may be one of the most blunt blog posts I have ever written. I do not wish to offend, but neither will I apologize for sharing the truth.

First of all, as I stated in an article several weeks ago I totally agree there is no way that we should expect the world to wholeheartedly embrace a Christian worldview. To do so would be foolish. Paul said “For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.” (I Corinthians 1:18)

That being said, it continues to amaze and grieve me the number of people who say they are Christians yet think it is okay for babies to be murdered and for marriage to be blasphemed. As I’ve said, supporting and loving non-Christians is not the same as a wholesale acceptance for their activity. It is 100% accurate that Jesus Christ spent time with sinners and that he often spoke very gently to the most despised people in the society in which he resided. It’s very true that he met people where they were but it is also true that he didn’t leave them there.

It is worth noting that in John chapter 8 in addition to saying “neither do I condemn you” Christ also said “go and sin no more.” Both of these messages are important. Also, while it would be wrong of us to expect total perfection on anyone’s part, it is also wrong to put forth the idea (if not in word and by implication) that Christianity can exist without the evidence of a changed life. If nothing changes when you become a Christian, what is the point and who are you actually following?

I have non-Christian friends who I love dearly. I enjoy spending time with them and when we are together I seek to encourage them. I pray for open doors to discuss the things of Scripture and also that God would open their eyes to its truth. I don’t bash them over the head with the Bible but neither do I shy away from what I believe.

 Am I perfect? Absolutely not! But if perfection was the standard necessary to preach truth even the apostle Paul would be disqualified. He did not preach truth because he was perfect but rather because he was brought to the truth by the mercy of God and commissioned to share with others what he had learned. I firmly believe that in some ways there is a greater example to the world in admitting our imperfections (and striving to walk worthy in spite of them) then there is in putting up a false front of perfection. Ask anyone who lives with me and they will be glad to share with you my flaws.

As people’s lives change, so should their impact upon the society in which they live. It is worth noting that no society can exist apart from moral standards.Also Christ's followers didn't "turn the word upside down" by staying silent. (Acts 17:6)  I know many people do not like to think about this but whether you like it or not our nation was founded on biblical principles. Our founding fathers begun this nation on the premise that true freedom is found through responsibility. Today we have a large portion of a generation that want freedom but not the responsibility that goes with it. The result is chaos.

I think it’s amazing in the sense that we arrived at a point where somehow it is okay to step away from moral standards while holding to them is wrong. The Scriptures tell us that all life is sacred even in the womb and now technology confirms what the psalmist knew all too well. If you want to continue to carry a banner for abortion I can’t stop you but we are long past the time when you can call it anything less than murder. When our hearts stop beating we are declared dead, yet somehow in the society in which we now find ourselves a beating heart does not constitute life. This must stop!

I want to say a word or two here about homelessness. One of the points that is often brought up is that Christians should care more about the poor. I agree with this but again balance is required in our discussion of this issue. I worked with the homeless population at Guiding Light Mission for a year and a half and I can tell you that while there were a good number of people looking for a hand up there also were a good amount who I knew would stay homeless because they looked to be enabled instead of empowered.

We need to make sure that we are consistently sharing the truth in love. I know that many people approach truth in the wrong way, but that doesn’t negate it. Jesus didn’t die on the cross because he never said anything controversial. He died on the cross because people hated the truth and because it was the only way to deal with the truth that we are all sinners in need of a Savior.

My prayer for you is that you will continue to be steadfast in your proclamation of the truth while being loving to everyone. May God bless you all!

Speaking4Him,

Andrew Gommesen 

No comments: