Monday, December 01, 2014

A Dog And Her Boy

Lindy (and some of the family) in younger days!
In February of 2002 the New England Patriots began their current era of NFL dominance, the USA hosted the 16th Winter Olympics, and my brother Thaddaeus, my Grandparents and I went to Delaware, Ohio so that I could get a Successor Service Dog from Canine Companions for Independence.  My first dog Indy had passed away in April 2001.  I was excited because I had really enjoyed having a dog and my first dog had greatly increased my confidence and independence.

I watched the Patriots beat the Rams in the Super Bowl from the comfort of my hotel room and the next day I started training for my new dog.  One of the first things I did (along with the others in the class) was meet all the dogs who were waiting for matches.

When I met Lindy II, I joked that it would be funny if I got matched with Lindy.  3 days later it happened. Over the next week and a half we bonded with each other and our classmates.  Lindy proved to be very compliant and eager to please.  When I found out that Lindy had the same birthday (May 6) as Indy, I felt God was smiling!

Lindy I did a lot together.  We rode the bus, hung out at the mall, worked at summer camp, and a lot of other fun stuff.  We also went to church and many other family events like reunions and family vacations.  As result, many of my friends became Lindy’s friends.  Also, I believe having a dog helped me make new friendships and deepen others.  I am so thankful for those at CCI who have dedicated their lives to training these dogs that have changed my life and the lives of others like me.  I owe them a debt I can never repay.

One of Lindy’s biggest paw prints was left at Right To Life of Michigan.  She became the mascot of the Telemarketing department.  She was very popular to the point that when I came without her (a long story) people would ask how she was BEFORE they asked about me! :)

Lindy loved everybody and was always glad to go to work.  She loved the ice water that was put in her bowl every day.  She also loved it when she would be taken out by one of my gracious friends to save me a trip out in the cold.  Those times were a blessing to her and to me.  I will always be grateful to those inside (and outside) The Telemarketing Department at Right To Life for their fondness and care of both of us.

When I think about Lindy and her unconditional love for me, I feel humbled and blessed.  Taking care of her was the least I could do to express my gratitude to her and to God who gave her to me.  I am reminded of the verse “A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.” (Proverbs 12:10)  I am so glad God gave us the time he did.  Even after she retired, there was something comforting about looking over to her favorite spot and seeing her there looking back at me!

My amazing and precious Lindy passed away a little over a week ago. I am hurting but at peace. She was a great dog and was my right paw for 8 wonderful years. I was so glad to give her 3+ years of retirement. I can't put a chapter and verse to it and would never preach it, but I can't help but hope (at least in part) that she's in heaven. We had a great run and I will miss her lots! Please pray for me! For those of you who were her friends, she says thank you!

Lindy Gommesen
Beloved Companion
May 6, 2000-November 23, 2014

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." (Matthew 10:29) Thank you father for entrusting her to me and giving her 4 more months than we thought!

Lindy, I love you so much!  Thanks for everything girl!  Rest in peace.

    
Speaking4Him,

Andrew Gommesen          

No comments: