Saturday, March 13, 2010

Waiting...

“Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him:…” (Psalm 37:7)

I really don’t like waiting. Even when I seek after patience I want it now. Whether it’s in my ministry or other aspects of my life, it is a very difficult discipline to master. It is good to know though that we are not alone in this struggle.
The main Scriptural example that springs to mind for me at this point in time is that of the disciples of our Lord.
• As Jews, they were waiting for the Messiah. I can almost feel Andrew’s excitement as he said to Peter “We have found the Messiah,” (John 1:41)
• As his followers they were waiting for his kingdom. Unfortunately, they (not unlike us) sometimes missed the point “Then there arose a reasoning among them, which of them should be greatest.” (Luke 9:46)
• After Jesus died, the three days before his resurrection had to be the longest of their lives. They must have been overjoyed to see Jesus! “Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.” (John 20:19)
• They waited for the Holy Spirit. “And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.” (Acts 1:4)
All their waiting makes me feel better about the things I’m waiting for. Oh, I’m still excited about the future (and some things I’m waiting for have me on pins and needles), but I know that God has things under control. And think of this. The most exciting thing of all is that Jesus is coming back! “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ” (Titus 2:13)

Jesus is quickly coming;
’Twill not be very long
Ere we shall hail our Bridegroom
With all the bright, angelic throng.
Coming, coming, Coming again for me;
Soon I shall see my Savior, Like Him I then shall be.
--Thoro Harris

Speaking4Him,
Andrew Gommesen

No comments: