Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Peter...Part II

“And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles; Simon, (whom he also named Peter,) and Andrew his brother, James and John, Philip and Bartholomew, Matthew and Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon called Zelotes, And Judas the brother of James, and Judas Iscariot, which also was the traitor.”(Luke 6:13-16)


Yes Jesus put together quite the group of fellows. Some I knew well, others I did not. We all had two things in common. We were all pretty average, not a stellar education among the lot. I often wondered what Jesus saw in us, but I guess that’s one of my favorite things about the Master. He looks at us on the basis of what we CAN be through Him rather then what we ARE.

No one is more thankful for this than I am. It seemed I was always saying something wrong. In those early days, I definitely leaned too far to my own understanding. Without the love and mercy of our Lord, I would be lost in more ways than one.

I just want to tell you about a few experiences I had with the Master. I could never run out of stories to share, but my time is short. I will soon see my Lord face to face once again!

I’ll never forget the day Jesus healed my mother-in-law. She was so feverish she couldn’t even lift her head off of the pillow. For someone as given to hospitality as she is, this was very difficult. As a matter of fact, Matthew recorded in his Gospel “And he touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them.” She got up and cooked us a delicious meal! The food and the fact that she was able to cook it were both amazing!

One day we got in a boat and head to the other side of the lake while Jesus stayed behind to pray. A huge storm came up and we were very afraid. Jesus came to us on the water and said “Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.” I (ever the impulsive one) asked Jesus to let me come to him. He bid me come, so I did! Before I knew it, I was walking on the water! Then I looked down and started to sink. He grabbed my hand, pulled me to safety and once again challenged me with his words "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?” The storm ceased, and we worshiped Him for we knew He was (and is) the Son of God!

To Be Continued…
Speaking4Him,
Andrew Gommesen

No comments: